The Northside New World
With family friendly feature the Papakaio 8 Hour Mountain Bike Challenge is the ultimate family friendly event, with heaps of activities and events to keep everyone entertained.
Back by popular demand, the Family loop is a 1.9km loop, over farm tracks and specially designed bike track. The track has been designed with little wheels in mind, with a pretty good gravel or dirt surface and no really tricky bits. There is a wee hill to go up (about 18metres of elevation for the technically minded) but kids can push their bikes up that bit if they need to.
HOW TO REGISTER
The family loop is disgined to be enjoyed by children between age 5 and 13, accompanied by an adult.
To ride the family loop you will need the following-
1. A safe, bike and helmet in good working order.
2. A parent or other supervising adult to do AT LEAST the first lap with you. Once you have done that loop with an adult and they are comfortable that you are safe and competent to ride, you will get a stamp on your hand. After that, you can ride without an adult AT YOUR OWN RISK. There will be several marshals out on the family loop course to make sure everything goes smoothly, but there are hazards, not all of the track will be visible by the marshals, so we would encourage all children riding to have a supervising adult with them. We recommend no more than 3 children per adult.
3. You need to register at the registration caravan, on the day, WITH YOUR SUPERVISING ADULT. They will need to sign a waiver for you. There is a $5 cost to register, please bring cash if you can as we limited access to eftpos. There is no charge for adults accompanying children on the loop, and they are welcome to bike or walk. The loop takes around 20 minutes to walk.
4. Each child registered will be given a numbered race plate to put on the front of their bike. This needs to be displayed at all times during the day.
5. If your children are riding their bikes around the event village or on any of the event features, they MUST be wearing their helmets.
6. There will be an aid station at the start/finish line, with water. We will not be providing disposable cups so please bring a cup or drink bottle.
The Drummond and Etheridge Junior Rider Zone:
New Feature this Year!
Watch this space for more information.
This feature is designed for children less than 7 or children that might not feel confident going around the family loop. We’re keeping the exact details under wraps for the minute – but it’s going to be cool! The junior rider zone will be made up of two smaller, flatter circuits located close to the event village.
Children riding these features will need to be supervised by their own adult AND wearing a helmet at all times. You will need to bring your own bike! It will suit smaller bikes with pedals and balance bikes.
WHEN IS IT OPEN?
The Family loop will open at 10.30am, with registrations being taken from 10am at the registration desk.
You can ride the loop as many times as you like. Between 1pm and 3pm, a marshal will be counting how many loops each child does. The family loop closes at 3pm. The child who does the most laps between 1pm and 3pm will be presented with a prize at the childrens prizegiving, which will be at the main stage area at approximately 3.30pm.
You must be registered by 1pm to get your laps counted and be eligible for a prize. This year we will be dividing the results into age groups as follows:
11 + yrs
Please tell your children that if they would like their laps counted, they need to go through the start/finish line in an orderly fashion, so the marshall can record everyone.